Wednesday, 1 August 2007

Byron Bay

Went to Byron Bay last weekend for a mini holiday / diving expedition. Schalk, Rob and I left Brisbane at 7:30am Saturday morning for a leisurely 2hr cruise down to the hippy capital of NSW (don't know if that's true or not but why let the truth get in the way of a good story!).




Had a great time and got to the most easterly point of the Australian Mainland.



For the afternoon, we decided to lie on the beach (still winter might I add) and work on our tans. Very relaxing.


Sunday morning Schalk and I went for a dive out at Julian's Rocks. 18m underwater, surrounded by Sharks I found saw a silver glint on the ocean floor of coral. Of course I had to go and pick it up. What did I find you ask .. .well none other than a Tiffany's ring! I took it in to be valued the next day. Turns out after my high hopes of it being coated with platinum, it was only sterling silver and retails for $220.


Also while out in the boat heading to the dive spot, we saw humpback whales breaching out int the ocean. Then when we were underwater and you opened your ears you could hear the whales talking to each other (eeeehh, eeeehh, eeeehh). Pretty amazing.

Lots of (6 in total) Grey nurse and woobygongs (sand sharks) but came back with all my limbs so that was nice. I only did the one dive coz it was too cold for me and I get motion sickness once I get back on the boat the second time. Should do something about that really. Schalk went out for a second dive that afternoon and saw a stingray!

No comments: